Saturday, September 2, 2017

Post-Scripts

P.S.  Family Camp Week
The 'Natural' Castle
During one of the many rock walks that week, we came upon the most unique piece of antiquity I
After adapting into a castle.

The original rock foundation.
have seen to date in Europe.  I guess it's the engineer in me but I was fascinated by its ingenuity.  In one area named the Bischofstein Rocks, there was the ruins of a very unique castle aptly named 'The Rock Castle".  These clever guys took a natural rock formation and adapted it into a castle.  We had a chance to crawl around it and I was very impressed and wanted to share it.
Part of the castle ruins.

The Wooden Church
Also during Family Camp Week, we had heard from several
The 'Red Dot'
people who had visited the day before that we should experience the wooden church.  So off B.J. and I went in the highly appreciated 'red dot'.  As you will agree with the logic, most any structure made of wood in times past had a very low percentage chance of surviving.  The church  was built in the 13th century and referred to in the historical documents as the 'Old Parish' church and functioned as a cemetery church for funerals.  And yes, it did burn in 1421 but there is controversy as to how much survived...but in any case it was restored in 1450 and is now the single oldest preserved wooden structure in central Europe.


P.S.  Paris
Footwear in Paris
I wish I had the sneaker concession in France!  For the six days we criss-crossed Paris and its suburbs
Grrrrrrr!!!
almost every male was wearing some version of sneaker.  There were, of course, the usual women's high heels and mens shoes for the professional working contingent but otherwise, for the men, EVERYONE had on sneakers.  The women did, of course, wear stylish sandals but for ALL the men ... nada.  The entire time there I counted five men with sandals (of course, I was one of the five--who would have thought to bring sneakers to Paris!!!).








Beer, French Style
You gotta be kidding!!
OK, I just spent over five months in the Czech Republic.  One does get a bit jaded as to the availability of wonderful beer.  You have heard the saying that 'Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy'.  Now, I had few illusions about the availability of beer in Paris but come on, this beer champaign glass was just the last straw.  Enjoyed the wine, I did, but really glad to get back to beer nirvana.














No comments:

Post a Comment